Friday, November 1, 2013

Call Me, Maybe

During the Fall and Holiday Season, Tim and I occasionally prayed for a way we could help an orphan. I recalled fondly our trip to Haiti which motivated me to pray. That's about as far as I could go.

I'm not opposed to risking material possessions, time, or energy for Christ. I've often thought of myself as one who would do the craziest things for God if he would ask. This freaked me out though...another kid? Let's be honest. I'm an amazing mom to about 1.7 kids. I'm not that organized. I work. I don't like doing dishes. Yeah, my thoughts couldn't surge past these debilitating facts (hey- not doing the dishes is debilitating, try it sometime!).

I desperately longed to help an orphan. However, helping an orphan and inviting one to live with you is a completely different thing. Sacrificing financially didn't bother me. I thought, maybe God will ask us to support 15 World Vision kids. Yeah, that would be good. I could support by licking an envelope and not have to invest emotionally or get messy with another soul that needs shaping and reconciliation. Besides, I needed to get back to my dishes.

I did pray. Neat prayers that pointed God to this idea of supporting in a hands-off kind of way. Here I was, at a point in my life when my husband insisted God continued to tug at his heart in this calling for aiding orphans and I, reluctant to invest in this risk. But I kept praying and God kept working.

No comments:

Post a Comment